Skip Permits

*Illustration based on a traditional 3 bedroom semi-detached house with driveway.

PLEASE NOTE: Skip Permits are valid for 7 days. The hirer is responsible for contacting Barry’s Skip Hire Ltd to renew the skip permit. This must be done before the 7th day. Barry’s Skip Hire Ltd reserves the right to collect the skip if the permit has expired.

When you hire a skip on Merseyside, if it has to be placed on the public highway then a local authority permit will be required. The public highway is, usually, any area outside the immediate boundary of your property. Many people think the verge (grass or otherwise) in front of their property belongs to them and so is private property but this is not generally the case. This is classed as part of the public highway and so, again, a permit is required. If the skip we provide to you is part on your property and part on the public highway then, again, a permit will be required.

The cost for the permit is determined by your local authority (Liverpool, Sefton, Knowsley and Wirral), and while we will apply for the permit on your behalf, we will pass on the cost of the permit to you.

If we determine that your skip is on the public highway, either in full or in part, then you will have to have local authority permit and we will charge you for this. As far as possible, prior to a skip being ordered and delivered, we will determine if a skip permit is required and we will advise you about this along with the cost for the permit. If we do not think a permit is required at the time/point you order the skip, if when we try to deliver the skip we believe a skip permit is required we will advise you about this as soon as possible and if subsequently we leave the skip with you, we will charge for the skip permit.

On this page we have provided a diagram of a typical semi-detached house to highlight where we can put a skip and a permit is not required (usually the driveway and only if the skip can be fully contained – at its widest point – within the boundary of the driveway).

Skip Permit